When you scrap your End of Life Vehicle (ELV) with an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) like Car Scrap Surrey, you’ll be issued with what’s known as a Certificate of Destruction (CoD). Today, we’re going to be addressing some of the more commonly asked questions associated with this document, as advised by the DVLA. If you have any queries of your own, don’t hesitate to give Car Scrap Surrey a call today. As always, we’ll do our best to help.

What is a Certificate of Destruction?

A Certificate of Destruction essentially does what it says on the tin. It’s a formal document issued by the ATF where you’ve chosen to have your vehicle scrapped, which states that you’re no longer responsible for the vehicle. This prevents less reputable scrapyards from putting your car back on the road in your name, which could incur you fines.

What information will a Certificate of Destruction contain?

On your Certificate of Destruction, you should find the following details:

  • Specifics of your scrapped vehicle.
  • Your personal details, including your name, address, nationality and signature.
  • Information concerning the ATF and the Environment Agency Licensing Authority that issued the ATF’s licence.

When will I be issued with a Certificate of Destruction?

You should receive your CoD immediately. If that’s not possible, the ATF will send it to you in the mail, or advise when you can come to collect it.

If you don’t get a CoD immediately, you should fill out the ‘Selling or transferring your vehicle to a motor trader, insurer or dismantler’ (V5C/3 section of your V5C form) and send it to the DVLA. This will state you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.

How much does a Certificate of Destruction cost?

A reputable ATF cannot charge you anything for a CoD. However, you may incur fees for having your car scrapped there.

Do I need to keep my Certificate of Destruction?

Yes. You should keep the CoD on file to prove you are no longer responsible for the scrapped vehicle.

What should I do if I lose my Certificate of Destruction?

You won’t be able to obtain another CoD. However, if you fill in a ‘Request by an individual for information about a vehicle’ (V888 form) you’ll receive a letter from the DVLA confirming that a CoD has been issued.

Remember, if you have any other questions regarding your Certificate of Destruction, don’t hesitate to contact Car Scrap Surrey today on 020 8406 4181.