Getting your head around some of the rules regarding car scrap laws can be challenging, which is why it’s so important to use a licensed scrap dealer. They’ll ensure your vehicle is scrapped rather than being sold on, using techniques that are approved by the Environment Agency. While you may think your responsibilities have finished once you’ve received your Certificate of Destruction, you mustn’t forget to inform the DVLA. Here’s everything you need to know.

Why Must You Tell the DVLA You’ve Scrapped Your Vehicle?

Whether you’ve sold or transferred the responsibility of your car to someone else, you must always tell the DVLA that you’re no longer the registered owner and where the vehicle has gone to. Otherwise, as far as they are concerned, you’ll still be liable for any tax due on it. They only process refunds from the date they receive your notification rather than the date of sale or transfer, so it’s important to inform them as soon as you can to increase the amount owed to you.

How to Inform Them

Before you tell the DVLA that you’ve scrapped your car or it’s been written off, make sure you have your 11-digit reference number at hand, which you can find in your latest vehicle logbook, referred to as the V5C. You should also make a note of the date of the sale or transfer and where the vehicle has gone to. In the case of scrap cars, this should be the scrapyard you used. If your car was written off, you can use your insurance provider as the trader name, even if you received no money for your vehicle.

The easiest way to inform the DVLA of a private car sale is to use their online service. However, for vehicles which have been scrapped or written off, you must get your insurer or scrapyard to fill out the yellow section of your logbook, sending the perforated part to the DVLA.

Once they’ve accepted the notification, you should receive an email or letter to confirm you’re no longer the registered keeper, alongside a refund if there are any full months left on your vehicle tax.

Can You Scrap Your Car without a V5C?

If you don’t have your V5 logbook, don’t panic. You can still let the DVLA know by post. You’ll need to tell them your name, address, vehicle details (make, model and registration), the exact date of the sale and the name and address of the scrapyard or insurance provider who took the vehicle away. Send these details to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. If you do not send them all the correct information, they may reject the notification. This means you will not receive a tax refund from the date they received it, and you’ll have to inform them again with all the details required.

Need more advice?

Get in touch with Car Scrap Surrey. We provide licensed vehicle scrapping services across Surrey and South London locations, including Selsdon, Thornton Heath and Thames Ditton. For a free quote, call now on 020 8406 4181.