Why is a V5 document so important in the car scrapping process, and why do you need to bring it with you when you scrap your car?

Your V5 or V5C logbook or car registration document details a car’s registered owner, their address and some important facts about the vehicle.

This includes the car’s make, model, colour, registration, and when it was first registered with the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency). This is a key item of documentation that is needed when you are selling or scrapping your car.

The DVLA must have the name and up-to-date details of the person responsible for every vehicle on the road in the UK. This means they know who can be contacted regarding legal matters relating to the car, such as road tax. So if you plan to scrap your car, you must go through the correct steps.

Why do I need my V5 logbook if I am scrapping my car?

When you scrap your car, to ensure that the full responsibility of the vehicle owner is transferred to our car scrap yard, you will need to complete Section 9 (or Section 4 on documents created after April 2019) of the V5C document before sending it to the DVLA.

You will need to add the details of Car Scrap Surrey and sign the slip, and one of our team will do the same. As you are the registered car owner, it will be your responsibility to do this, but our team is always here to help and advise. Once complete, this slip will need to be posted to the DVLA.

What if I can’t find or have lost my V5 scrapbook?

It is much easier if you have your logbook, but you can still scrap your car if you do not have it. You will need to send the DVLA a letter with all the details normally included in Section 9 of the V5C.

This includes:

  • Your name and address
  • The car’s registration number
  • The date of the sale
  • The name, address, and VAT number of the car scrap yard

If you leave a space, someone from our team can also sign the form. It is important that the information is complete because if it is not accepted, you will still be registered as the vehicle owner and will not be able to claim back tax refunds.

Once the document is complete, send it to:

  • DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD

If you wish, you can also replace your V5C document and order a new one for just £25 through the gov.uk website. Please check out our other car scrap FAQs.

Would you like to know more about car scrapping

We are car scrap specialists working throughout Surrey and London and can advise you about any step of the process. Please call now on 020 8406 4181 or email info@carscrapsurrey.co.uk

We offer car recycling throughout the South East, including Croydon and Epsom.